Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Things I have learned today because I have insomnia

That's right, it's another pathetic attempt to look on the bright side of being up since 4:30. I have watched a dvd of last night's season premiere of Antiques Roadshow, scrubbed my kitchen sink, and learned (from that vast and sometimes disturbing repository of knowledge the worldwide you-know-what):

My ruby glass isn't worth anything.

This one's for Josh. I can reduce this crazy static thing that makes me freakishly charged all the time by doing all kinds of stuff, like carrying around dryer sheets and making a spray of ten parts fabric softener to one part water and spraying it around my house. I'm drawing the line at the suggestion of rubbing fabric softener sheets on my skin, but I can totally see me at committee meetings whipping out the fabric softener sheets and rubbing one all over my clothes. I'm desperate enough to do it, even though fabric softener sheets are so enviro-nasty. I also learned that for people who have problems with static more body hair means more static. No comment.

Aunt Grace's Nippon vases might be worth a lot of money.

You can determine what shape your face is by looking in a mirror and outlining your face in lipstick on the mirror. I kid you not. I just did it -- oval.

You can find videos that help you figure out what shape glasses you should be wearing based on face shape, skin, and hair color.

If you have an oval face, perky women with perky hair will tell you (in videos again) that you can wear any hairstyle, get any haircut, which is not helpful if you happen to know that the haircut you have isn't working any better than the previous two haircuts you got.

All that and it's not even 7:00. Got anything you've learned from the Internet that you want to share? This blog prompt is NR, so have at it folks.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I actually knew that thing about face shape! I did it one day with a dry-erase marker, not lipstick. (and it slightly stained my mirror due to it taking off all of the windex residue in that area. who knew dry erase markers were a better cleaner than windex?) I sort of, have a round face(mixed with square, but more round) thus when looking for glasses (which I need to do soon) I should be grabbing ones with a square frame. I have slightly square ones now, but I think I am going to go for the thick black, or deep-burgundy frames this time around. Also when it comes to hair, I am screwed. Nothing flatters a round face, and almost nothing on the internet helps in deciding on a good risk to take. Thankfully though, the internet has solved this problem by giving us good hairstyle choices.

I do find the internet a very good resource though when looking for recipes. Many times I find outrageous ones that I alter, but other times I take the risk, and people just have to deal. All in all it is my sneaky trick to learning how to cook. (I learned that if you want to sautee onions, it tastes better in olive oil with a dash of wine or apple juice than it does in butter!)