Monday, November 3, 2008

Relationships are complicated, unkay?

Maybe it's my current state of semi-coping with chronic pain, or maybe I've always been this way. Maybe, because my little world is still just that, it's gotten worse, but it was a trait I always had. Maybe it's the name? Yep, I'm talking about betrayal again and the culprit is he who has betrayed me before -- the Breadman.

First, last week's incident: I was on the phone with Aunt Grace, and she was rhapsodizing about how great it is that I make my own bread. In my family women have (objectively speaking) few domestic skills beyond overcooking by flame or water, with the exception of beef which is eaten almost raw. So to my female relatives, this bread baking thing is amazing, even though I use a machine to do it.

Anyway, back to the incident. Just as Aunt Grace got to the part where maybe I should bring the Breadman down to New Jersey at Thanksgiving, I looked through his domed top to see a loaf that had crashed in the middle. Betrayal? I think so.
Next was the loaf that looked like marble on the outside, crumbled a bit when removed from the machine, and I've just found out, is raw in the middle.

I hope these incidents are not related to my tendency to fetishize the Breadman as a sort of Al Green, Barry White, Petey Greene embodiment of male hubris, of fickleness, of a misogyny I'm endorsing by singing "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby" as I measure ingredients. Such behavior seems a little racist even, but it's that damn name, I suppose. He da Breadman, after all.

The problem with all this is that now I want nothing more than to run the Breadman over with the car -- repeatedly. If I were still in Idaho I could take him out for target practice, but I sold my last gun five years ago before I moved to New York (Ruger .22 caliber for any gun fans out there. Yes, a semiautomatic, yes technically sort of an assault rifle, yes I know I'm in a peace group).

So I think it's time (and if you don't agree with me you're nuttier than I am) to take a step back, to sort of redefine the relationship. I'm not trying any more for now. Maybe since Catherine and Mikey are coming tomorrow, one of them would like to step in? Try to get the Bman to see that his days might be numbered if he doesn't . . . well I'm not even gonna finish that sentence.

Love hate appliance relationships. Anybody willing to describe yours? Yeah, maybe it'll make you sound like a nutjob, but at least I went first.

Happy Monday

P.S.: Breadman, if you read this post, I really didn't mean it honey. I was just venting.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

First off, I like the fact that you have an aunt grace, I do too and it always made for interesting Thanksgivings. We would always "argue" about who would say grace, and then someone would shout "GRACE!" and my aunt would respond "What!?!" Yes, I know my family is nuts.

Anywho, appliances tend to rebel against me all of the time. Usually at the most inopportune moments when I am trying to prove my culinary genius. Once I was making toast for my younger brother, and in the midst of cooking the perfect toast, the toaster was engulfed in flames and I burnt my parents cabinets. Thankfully I was quick on my feet and the toaster was quickly unplugged and launched into the stainless steel sink. Soon it was dowsed with water and chucked to the side of the road for the next sucker.

lena said...

at the risk of revealing what an idiot i am: phones. i am constantly screwing up calls with my cellphone, which is one of those motorola flip phone jobbies from like, 10 years ago. i recently put my sister on hold without knowing it and then talked to her for about a minute before i realized she wasn't talking back.

i also don't know how to use the fancy multi-line phone in my office at work. i asked them to show me how it works and they gave me a quick tutorial that was insufficient for the phone's fanciness. and then i felt impolite asking for further instruction, so i've just used my cellphone (did i mention it's a prepaid?) ever since.

i also have an aunt grace, or as she is called in my (italian) family, zia graziella.

Nick Gasparovich said...

I have nothing meaningful to contribute other than this picture I found:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NzUYt4TDSk7YcNqb4522LA?authkey=k1Dpt8ezyTA

:-)

c said...

Tell the Breadman you don't knead him.
Hahahahahahaha!

I can't think of specific appliance problems, but I have a recurring nightmare in which I'm trying frantically to dial a phone for help and can't get the number right. I hate that dream.

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Jess,
We do the same joke at Thanksgiving.

Teresa said...

You know what's funny, we sort of do that joke at Thanksgiving, too. When we watch that scene in Christmas Vacation!!!!

You guys should really be getting royalties or something - I mean, come on. How many Aunt Graces could be at Thanksgiving dinners???

Carlie, if I was giving points you would have 100 bonus points for the "knead" joke. That was classic.

Nick Gorczynski said...

I had a thing going with a kitchen-aid not too long ago. It. whipped me into the guy I am right now. I think it kneaded to stir things up though. It twisted all my words - made a real mess and the relationship just spun out of control. My feelings were mixed. I felt like all the emotion had been poured from my heart, and it cost me so much dough - by the end I was just beat.




btw. at first there was no way i could picture you with a gun dr. murphy. and thanks to nick, that image has been fulfilled! WOW