Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting Nightmares

In no apparent order:
the knowledge that my presidential vote is canceled out by my ex husband
one or both of my children will vote Republican
someone I respect will say s/he voted for John McCain and I won't be able to keep
my mouth shut
I'll forget to pull the lever because we had ballot boxes in Idaho
I'll wake up tomorrow and have to start packing, only to find out that no other
country on earth will take in stupid Americans any more
But vote I shall, and you should too.
Happy Election Day

3 comments:

c said...

The lever is the easy part - the curtains won't open and let you out until you pull it. I found that out the first time I voted here when I flipped the little toggles and thought "Is that it?" and then tried to swish the curtains aside and leave and then the poll volunteer laughed at me and said I had to pull the big lever first.

lena said...

i forgot about the lever this morning and had to have it explained to me. my excuse is that i was holding a 25 pound toddler.

but yes, i voted!

seriously though: neither of your daughters is voting republican, right? RIGHT??

Jessica said...

My voting Nightmare this year was that my absentee ballot was denied. They finally sent me a reasoning behind it and said it was because I had applied for my ballot past the deadline (10/27), however I received my ballot in the mail two weeks ago (on or around 10/12) , and sent it in immediately. How can my ballot application be late, and I still get a ballot?!? It would really have pissed me off had NY been a battleground state and I been the deciding factor, but thankfully that was not the case.

In past years, I have also forgotten to pull the lever. Once I forgot to pull it, left the booth and briskly walked out the doors on my way home. However I was chased down and requested to return and "finish voting." Apparently people who proctor the elections in West Winfield take their job seriously and will not simply pull the lever for you.