Thursday, December 11, 2008

More paper avoidance and insomnia

This morning I have so far:
1) Woken up at 4:20 (no kidding, 4:20 man!)
2) Maintained a good attitude about afore implied insomnia
3) Become an Oneida County Habitat for Humanity volunteer (something I've always wanted to do, but somehow never gotten around to; thank you www)
4) Watched an episode of Dexter while surfing the net so randomly I couldn't begin to tell you how I got to half those places)
5) Super moisturized my rapidly aging winter insomnia face with pink Mary Kay stuff I buy from Laura
6) Squinted a lot because insomnia makes your eyes tired!
What's not on this list? You got it -- I have gotten through 1/2 of one paper. But that's not what this post is about. I started thinking about altruism and how we should all try to help each other, and that got me thinking about ways I know I can't help because of my limitations. I think being a secular humanist is way cool, but I know I have my limits. Here are some things I thought I'd do over the years, but couldn't because I thought maybe they'd ruin me with grief:
-- walk dogs or play with cats at humane society, pound, whatever
-- take Missy to nursing home to interact with patients
-- volunteer at nursing home
-- help get dogs/cats adopted at retail venues
-- board animals for humane society
I think all of the above have in common the element of "I'd want to take them all home" (or keep them) and their ain't enough room at 27 Kellogg for that many pets and old people. How about you? As this holiday season approaches are you starting to think about something you might do? Do you know your limits? Oh yeah, thanks Biggie Head, cause I think you started all this with your I'm gonna spend Christmas volunteering at the homeless shelter thing. Ah yes! There's another thing I know I'm not cut out for. Whatcha got?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I always want to donate my time and money to kids during the holidays. After I hear the song 'Christmas Shoes' by Newsong it is all over for me and all I want to do is give stuff to kids. Thankfully it is one of those things where you really don't want to take them home after you spend time with them, in fact with the kids I am around, you are more than willing to give them back. (This would not be the case with Carlie's children however, because they are perfectly behaved little angels and I am jealous!)

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Carlie's children are pretty cool, I agree. Perfectly behaved? I sure hope not!