Monday, December 29, 2008

Born in the USA: or what exit you from?

Yeah, that second part is vintage SNL. That's what it's like here in north Jersey. The towns seem to fall into two categories -- really old ones that look like something outta central New York only less shabby, and really nondescript ones that look like my home town. The villagy ones have small down town areas where the streets might as well be paved with dollar bills. It's interesting.

I went to a party yesterday. Nice, fun Jersey folks full of Jersey pride, a concept that must've taken hold while I was living in the West. When I left NJ it was still a place you were supposed to be ashamed of, an exit. But now I get a sense that people don't mind being from NJ and it's kinda cool. I guess if you're willing to pay the taxes and drive alongside your fellow New Jerseyians you're entitled to some pride.

The poet James Hoch is from New Jersey and he says that he thinks being from here gives one a sense of entitlement. Maybe it's because he's ten years younger than me; maybe he's from another part of NJ, the one with Princeton. All I know is that to me NJ is still an underdog. After moving from here to Ptown and then to central New York, I think maybe it's my destiny to live in underdog towns. You know, places that people aren't exactly ashamed to be from, but that have some problems. And for all of its splendor, Clinton NY is still in the rust belt.

My friend Pri works in an upscale salon in Tenafly, NJ. She told me that with the economy going south rich people are spending less on trips and house remodels and more on, well, hair I guess. Interesting.

It's funny, I think. Sometimes humans have to defy adversity in such human ways -- spending where and when we can. And I'm doing it too in my own small way. Today I'm going to look for a new cd player, and I won't know where to start because I'll have about forty thousand places to shop. I'm not used to that, so I'm sure I'll wind up going to Target a) because I can find it and not get lost in a maze of Jersey towns that all look alike (see above), and b) because it's next to the B&W bakery, where the best crumb cake in the world is made.

What are you doing to keep the economy going? I almost convinced myself to buy a Ford Focus to replace blue boy, who, I think, really wants to be retired soon. If not retired, at least he wants new struts and shocks and I don't think I'm into that kind of commitment.

Anybody have any car advice for me? So far I've looked at Kias and Hyundais and now my brother-in-law is tempting me with Nissans. Whatever the car it must:
get the best gas mileage possible
not be a complete death trap
not be a cliche (no college teacher Volvo, no Saab, no Outback thank you)

Having thought about the Kia Rio a little further, I think there might be a reason for all those airbags.

Wherever you are, I hope you're having the best holiday ever. Let's get some car advice coming, kay?

10 comments:

Nick Gasparovich said...

I'm partial to the upcoming 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

41 mpg city/36 mpg highway.

Over 700 miles per tank of gas.

Fuel economy is second only to the prius (but has a lot more class than the prius) (*Fact as I've been told by car-savy co-workers)

(Gallery)

Anthony said...

I'm going to second that... my next car is going to be a domestic hybrid of some kind. Once they actually make one, that is.

I'm all for consumer activism... spend your money in what you believe in because (for better or worse) money is the only thing some people understand.

Jessica said...

I don't think I was ever really contributing to the economy... I am one of those money hoarders who hopes to god that money will realize it wants to breed in my piggy bank. However it never happens and I almost always end up spending some/all of it on someone. Usually not myself though, unless you count the past few years of college. Maybe I will think of a really gadgetty gift for Nick and surprise him with it, or maybe even better I will buy health insurance for myself with it, but I am sure I will get bored of the lack of reproduction on my money's part and spend it.

Jessica said...

oh yes, and now I need to know. Where do any people buy Bird seed, and which kind yields the best ground outcome when it falls to the earth uneaten? I know millet tends to be really bad and just grows weed, so is there a millet-less bird seed out there that is amazing?

Anonymous said...

I got 365,000 miles out of my last Honda Civic which lasted 10 years.
So far, I have 358,000+ miles on my current Civic which is heading into its 9th year.Got the cheapest model each time - about $15,000. Gas mileage,if doing the speed limit(as we all do, all of the time),has reached as high as 44mph but hovers in the 37-38 mph range.
400 miles per 11 gallon tank.
Repairs are just the usual oil change, wear and tear stuff and with light mileage would be minimal. Lots of peace of mind guaranteed with this car!

Anonymous said...

Winter Snow

Cocooned in white cotton
ambition forgotten
'til Spring.......

lena said...

my (economic) problem with hybrids is that they're expensive, and i'm poor. i bought a 2008 hyundai elantra this past summer (bought=making payments till 2013) and it's been great so far. carl's had a kia since 1999, and that's been very reliable and inexpensive to maintain. i think there's something to be said for being seen around town in a (relatively) cheap car--it builds character. or something. really.

Nick Gasparovich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick Gasparovich said...

If only every vehicle offered this parallel parking feature.

Anonymous said...

I think I was being ironic and wry.

James