Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Comfort Food, Again

Since I hurt my back I've been eating a lot of Lean Cuisine. I feel like some pathetic, lonely forty-something spinster every time I peel back the cello and pop that frozen chunk of whatever into the microwave. But, there's one food that has consistently made me feel better through all of this crapola -- peanut butter toast. Whole wheat bread (really whole wheat, none of that fakey stuff), good pb (in my case Teddy's), a little jam or honey, and the essential toasted wheat germ. Yum, yum, yum! It makes me feel like there's hope.

So now I'm branching out a little, and of course that means I run the risk of losing some of the satisfaction I get from the aforementioned combination, but I gain empowerment because I think I've being less rigid. I tried Heidelberg raisin bread today. So far, so good. On the plus side, nice warm raisins, nice chewy texture. The down side? It ain't whole wheat, no how, no way.

What do you eat to get by when the goin' gets tough? Yeah, I know I've asked such questions before, but I think it's so much fun. I know a certain college professor who could come up with a great comment on this one, but I know he won't. Alas!
Happy Day everyone out there!

6 comments:

lena said...

my go-to, no-cook comfort food is the fluffernutter sandwich, which tastes just as good, if not better, on whole wheat. and it's a habit of mine to ask my students every semester if they know what a fluffernutter is. shockingly few do.

Teresa said...

A thick piece of fresh sourdough toast with lots of butter. yum!

c said...

Usually pasta with Ragu sauce. I was raised in the midwest, ok?

If I really, desperately need food for comfort, then mashed potatoes with gravy and corn all mixed together. Not exactly convenience food, though.

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Lena, my mom (the original hippie I sometimes think) wouldn't endorse fluffernutters. We got to try them once, and evidently they were deemed unworthy. I was always the only kid at school who had whole wheat bread in my lunch box. Aye, poor me!
T, sourdough yum! reminds me of the West.
Carlie, Ragu was Mrs. Murphy's sauce weapon of choice when I was growing up, so I too love its tangy sweet goodness. I'm not much of a food mixer, but Mashed potatoes sure sound good, always.

Jessica said...

Although a toasted fluffernutter sandwich is my close second in the comfort food arena, I have to say Panera's broccoli cheese soup with a huge chunk of crusty wheat to dip. Every time I am feeling down I can go for it, but another fall back is a two slices of toasted wheat, one with honey drizzled all over and the other with chunky peanut butter. If I am feeling ambitious I sometimes even slice a banana really thin and slip it between the two layers! Sooooooo Yummy!

c said...

Good to know I'm not the only Raguphile. If we're talking about Panera, though, their chicken and wild rice soup is the most comforting thing on the menu. :)