Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Never Gonna Give You Up . . .

I'll begin by saying that I'm one of those people who really suffers from "song that gets stuck in your head" syndrome. We all do, I know, and thankfully said songs usually only last a day or two. The problem is the song is rarely one I like (so I don't even know many of the lyrics) and usually something so cheesy it's embarrassing, especially since I often sing aloud.

Ever since I saw the Sarah Palin video done in response to the Barack Obama/Rick Astley video I've had that song in my head, you know the one, "Never Gonna Give You Up". Maybe it's so funny to me because it goes with my new Air Supply haircut. I decided to do a little research and found out KISS and Brian Griffin versions. My response to these was, of course, more chuckling. But when I went back to find the Sarah Palin/Rick Astley clip, I couldn't. I couldn't even get rickrolled: bummer!

Here's the thing: I don't know about you, but I think it's hilarious when I find a version of a song that I never really took seriously (have, in fact, made fun of) and it's been spoofed. It's postmodernism at it's best, I guess. But then there are those other times, like when I was looking for clips on the Internet and found so many bad versions of "The State that I am In" that I wanted to plug up my ears forever.

Try it: youtube some song you think of as funny or lame or whatever and see what happens. Then youtube a song to which you have a profound emotional connection. See if your responses are different. Let me know what you find out.

7 comments:

c said...

Try this Sarah Palin ripoff. If that doesn't banish the other one from your head, nothing will.

c said...

My lord, and they made another one.

This is my favorite Rickroll ever, mainly because I hate Jenny McCarthy so, so much.

c said...

This is the best spoof video of an earworm song.

c said...

Oh, and this has nothing to do with your post at all, but I saw it yesterday and it's funny.

lena said...

carl just yesterday sent me a youtube vid of weird al yankovic doing that bob dylan song with the cards, but he did it all in palindromes! does this mean that weird al is the ultimate post-modern deconstructionist? i'd never thought of him that way, but it does kind of fit. here's that link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nej4xJe4Tdg

i would make you a pretty link, but i don't know how.

Mike Zombek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Zombek said...

Wow you know what rickroll means you really need to get out of the house.