Thursday, October 16, 2008

Family

I'm taking time out from my usual complaint narrative to write about family, on this my Aunt Grace's 83rd birthday. When I was growing up in suburban New Jersey, I was lucky enough to have three women in my life all the time. My mother Catherine Cecelia is the oldest, and her two sisters Eleanor Margaret and Grace Patricia are/were younger by two and four years, respectively.

What was it like having this catholic women's trinity, as I affectionately call them (don't worry they all think/thought that's funny) around all the time? Well, it was wild! Since I'm the youngest by so many years, they treated me like a princess. They had a mother I never knew who was, by all accounts, kind and overprotective, and my three were certainly all that and a bag of chips where I was concerned. They all got from their mother (and from Catholicism too, I suppose) a sense of impending doom. They worried constantly, and when I grew up I'd joke with them and say things like "it's a wonder I ever left the house!". Yes, I was the "don't do that, you could break a leg" kid.

My aunts doted on me and thought I was cute and funny, even though I was really high strung and scared all the time because of what we'll call the "Catholic school climate" of the 1970's. My mother was a little more pragmatic about things; she's the only one of the three who had children, and it's just her nature to be a bit more "business-like" (a recent quote from said Aunt Grace).

When I became a rebellious public school teenager I did it big time (rebellion, that is) keeping secrets, constantly pushing boundaries. I fought with El, who lived with us and who was by nature feisty, and I made Grace cry. My mother had her own way of dealing with things. She didn't argue, didn't chastise, didn't really even criticize. With El and mom I could justify my behavior as teenagers do, but seeing Grace cry would always stop me up short. This was, after all, the woman who had dropped me off every day at catholic school after a mile-long car ride during which I often cried the whole time, and then cried herself all the way to work because she felt so bad for me.

I never called them Aunt Grace or Aunt El; they were too close for titles. Since neither of them ever had children, they loved us four Murphy kids like their own. When El died eight years ago, I worried so much about Grace, mom too, but Grace so much. Today I know she'll think of her sister and miss her so much.

In August I took Li to Mount Carmel Cemetery in Tenafly, and we cleaned El's grave and I cried and cried and told her all kinds of things about all kinds of things, like families do. My family has changed so much (they're so damn old now) and sometimes I long selfishly for all of those lost years I squandered living away from them. But I'm closer now, and Thanksgiving's just around the corner. Today I'll call my Aunt Grace and she'll call me "my darling," and the world will be a little better for it. Me, I'm just lucky to still have what I have -- a family that stills puts me in awe of itself sometimes.
Happy Birthday Gracie

6 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Long comment time!!

I have to say that this blog pulled at my heartstrings, and made me long for NY. i miss my mother most of all, and all of the time. I think about the times that I was selfish in high-school and my first two and a half years of college at HCCC. I think of the first week of college and how bad I needed her, calling every day just to hear a caring voice. I also think of how I got over it and never called again unless I needed a ride home. (selfish!)

There was also another woman in my life who was there for me when I couldn't stand my mother. It was during those teenage years and I constantly spilled my guts and I know for a fact she never told my mother a word. There was a day I even walked half a mile to go see her just to talk, and now I just call someone who I met in college and see as a close friend. There are days I really wish that I would just pick up the phone and just call her out of the blue and tell her how much I appreciate her. Today might be that day!

Now that I am a million miles away (I over-exaggerate, I know, it's like using awesome when you aren't really struck with awe. :D) I miss them both more than anything and would like nothing more than to take them up on offers to go to greenhouses, and other ridiculous "mother-daughter" things that I never took advantage of when I could. I am feeling the pain and loneliness more now though since my cat died on Tuesday after we returned back from NY. I had her for 18 years and feel so bad now for joking about how she was on her last legs and would one day crawl into a ball and never get up. I think I feel bad mostly for the fact that I was young and stupid and never took advantage of all of the things that I want to take advantage of now.

Not for nothing, I love the life I have now. I am really happy in New Jersey, and I even enjoy the days like today that I have the kids and can play like a kids again. I even dread the day that they get a mind of their own and decide that they don't want to spend time with a stodgy old woman like me.

It's really sad how nobody ever really knows what they had till it is out of reach. No matter how much I keep reaching, I can't quite get back the opportunities I once had.

I am gonna go bawl now, and call my mommy. Thoughts like these make me open flood gates, but I am happy to finally have that release.

Jessica said...

I am using your blog as a shameless plug... actually I hate doing this, so feel free to make me delete it if you do not approve.

Me and Nick are trying to win a contest for free stuff from David's Bridal. I could get a wedding dress, bridesmaids dresses, bridal party gifts or even a honeymoon package if we win. I need people to vote for my amazing creative skills though at this link. Help if you want to and please pass on!

Vote for Nick and Jessica!

Jessica said...

here is something you also might enjoy...this is what a maverick looks like!

Teresa said...

That was beautiful.

And what were you saying? You're not wired that way?

Bunk.

=)

lena said...

yeah, ok, i'll admit i teared up a little, and then called my mom. (the second part being unremarkable because i call her a couple times a day anyway. still.)