Friday, October 10, 2008

Vanity, thy name is woman . . .

Yeah, I know it's really "frailty", but today I want to write about vanity. It's a characteristic I've always struggled with, well, always. I don't want to be a vain person. I'd like to think that I'm good, basically honest, somewhat kindhearted, maybe too liberal and naive, and that's what ought to count, right? Right. Often when I face my own vanity I feel like my friend to the right here is readying to say his famous line: "You're despicable!" Then I try to remember that a little vanity is normal, healthy even.

Where's this going? Well, it has something to do, I suspect, with what my dead white guy crew, Donne and Herbert, and I suppose Blake would have obliquely or directly referred to as the visage of pain, that look that people(yeah, I know they were mostly talking about Christ, not 40-something English teachers) have when they're in a lot of pain. You know the one, especially if you've ever lived with chronic pain; it's alternately a grimace or a blank stare. It's taut lips and a wrinkled brow. It's not attractive by any means, and makes its wearer (at least if I'm that wearer) feel less than competent, old, worn out, and for some reason very short.

Let's add to this visage the overall effect of my new, failed haircut, which I believe makes me look like I should be on the cover of an old Air Supply album. Hey, I know they're big in Germany (anybody get that redesigned Tom Waits' allusion), but frankly their look isn't one I want to emulate. Yes, they got the moon; they got the cheese, but they also have crappy, dated, somewhat mulletudinous hair.

So, what am I gonna do? Well, I'm going into survival mode. When Pin comes next week, she's going to do what she can with her phenomenal hair cutting ways. That's a lot of pressure to put on one very small non-professional hairdresser, but I know from past experience she gonna do some magic. And getting a haircut from her is so much fun -- she yells, barks out orders actually, and all around bosses me around while alternately jumping around and straddling me to get a better look at what she's doing. I'm aware that while I find these behaviors charming, they are important reasons why she should not become a professional hairdresser. Thank Gawd, as my family would say, she has a trade already.

But that's next week. What am I gonna do in the interim? Well, I'm going to dye my hair dark red brown and hope it makes me feel a little better. I'm going to eat a peanut butter/wheat germ toasty treat, and I'm gonna sit in my newly vacumned house, jubilant over the fact that I defied my doctor's orders and (very slowly and carefully, mind you) sucked up at least one dog's worth of dog hair yesterday. And I'm gonna grade some freshman papers, so I can feel like I'm doing my job, sort of.

I'm also going to upload a pic that my buddy Dave Loomis took of me in March to remind myself that better days are ahead, an icon of optimism of sorts. I hope you all have reasons to be optimistic as we charge into this beautiful autumn weekend.

5 comments:

c said...

Why not go all-out red? Jazz it up a bit before the blandness of winter sets in. Or even something like a good bubblegum pink. :)

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Two reasons: One is that I'm too scared of what I'd actually look like with real red hair. The other is that I'd have to bleach my hair to get my natural brown out, and that stuff seems even scarier than hair dye. I also want it to look like it could be a sort of natural color. How bout you, blondie? In theory, we ought to be able to do darn near anything with your hair. Shall I get out the developer?

c said...

[runs away]

Seriously, on topic, that's one thing I've never really considered doing because I've always loved my hair color. There were many years where it was the only thing I really liked about myself. The fact that it's straight, fine, and thin, and nothing can be done with it no, but I always did have awesome color.
That, of course, makes finding all the gray hairs more traumatic. I've used washout color a few times in the dead of winter just to perk it up (in the same shade I have naturally in summer), but that seems to flatten the color and sparkle all out of it, like moving from a glitter pen to a crayon. I don't know what I'm going to do when it goes mostly gray.

Teresa said...

Stop it. We're freakin' gorgeous. Girl power. =)

Mix it up - color it up - and feel like you're playing dress-up.

I don't think the little girl inside evor grows up.

lena said...

i can't wait to see what you do. . . i've never been one for hair color, not because i have great color, but because no color will ever take to my hair. i once wanted to dye part of my hair bright blue, but it had to be bleached first, and then because it didn't want to bleach white enough, the blue turned out to be more of a washed out green, and i just had to dye it back to brown. it was a sad experience overall.