Friday, October 17, 2008

Internet, My Love Monster

Last night I read yesterday's post about Aunt Grace to Aunt Grace (she cried), and then I sent it to her, at her request. I enlarged the font, which she exclaimed she didn't even know one could do. She will make my Uncle Dave print it out because, I think, she's (actually they're both) afraid of "the machine," as she calls their computer. Amazing, but at least it means I don't have to worry about them reading my blog, right? The aforementioned goes into the category "Old People Are Soooooooooooo Cute."

As I write this, I'm listening (on my machine) to the famous and incredibly pretentious John Mullan interview Graham Swift, trying to tell Swift what his own novel The Light of Day is "about" and getting (go Graham, go!) a run for his money. Swift is by turns amused, bemused, and funny, and winds up saying things like "for goodness sakes; it's a love story!" in response to Mullan's penchant for restorying and reshaping Swift's novel(s). It reminds me of how much I like Graham Swift, even though his last novel Tomorrow disappointed me so dreadfully. It also reminds me of how much I love the Internet, even though I've sometimes gotten myself in trouble because of it.

Are you ambivalent about the Internet? Are you, like me, caught up short sometimes when you think about how much time you spend in Cyberspace, on the Information Super Highway? BTW, my composition students and I always have a chuckle when we talk about those last two terms.

In response to yesterday's comment, yes Mikey, I need to fly like a little bird, to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, etcetera, etcetera. So, which one of the former is a movie reference?

Jess, remember Graham Swift? And can I vote more than once? I read a few of the other couples' posts and they pale in comparison to yours, so vague and wussy.

Friday Peace

2 comments:

Jessica said...

By the way, I called my mother yesterday ins response to your post and she was so happy. In part because the last time I talked to her I was bawling my eyes out about my cat, and she was worried that I may not recover so quickly. So of course I told her that I missed her and she told me that she misses me too, and would love nothing more than to see me all the time, but she realizes that a bird must one day fly alone, find a nest and make baby birds.

Anyway overall you gave me an opportunity to talk to her, and my "other mother" who I actually talked to a machine cause she works at a hospital and is never home. Thanks for that!

And yes, I remember Graham Swift. He is sitting in storage right now. I kept him around just in case I want to attempt to understand him better. But you already know about most of my issues with Graham.

About the voting. my cousin found that if you clear your cookies in your browser and then reload the page, you can vote as many times as you want. Also going back every 24 hours works. Thanks for voting!

Teresa said...

Oh, yeah. In fact, I can't recall what my life was like without the Internet. I spend WAY too much time researching my curiosity.

It's funny you bring this up, because on the drive home yesterday NPR had a guy talking about multitasking and its impact on our lives. It's not good, if you're wondering where they were goin' with that.

I think I probably multitask 100% of the time, and should really try to stop being so "ADD." Limiting my Internet time would be a good start, but the thought of that sends me into a very dark place. =|