Sunday, October 12, 2008

What????!!!!!!!

I don't know how much longer I can keep up my pretense of optimism. If there's a last straw I think I just got it . . . in the mail. Yes, the unspeakable has happened. My little, gimpy injured self has been called to JURY DUTY! Oneida County, I hate you, yes hate you! How could you do this to me? Don't you realize that if I sit on one of those benches for more than ten minutes I'll be in so much pain that I'll want to give whoever is on trial the death penalty, even if it's just for a bar fight or too many traffic tickets? Don't you realize that I'll be so crazed with pain that I won't even care that NY doesn't have the death penalty, and I'll still be holding out for it, writing "DEATH" over and over on those little slips of paper until someone hauls me off to the Marcy Psych Center? Didn't you get it when I filled out the form and listed "college professor" as my occupation that there's no "sub list" I can draw from to keep my students on the road to their education? Maybe I should take all 45 of them with me and say I'm doing a social justice theme for my classes. Ha! That'd show them.

But seriously, the irony of all this is that I got the summons after this morning's drive home from Daryl's house. On the way I experienced a moment of great joy, as I like to call them. They've been few and far between since I hurt my back, but there it was. As I rounded a bend on the Brimfield Road, I got a really good view of all the golden, orange, and even crimson foliage that makes this place I live in so glorious. It filled me with joy. I cried a little. I love that feeling. Too bad Oneida County had to ruin it with "you are required to call every night after 10/24" and no mention of an end date. And that "Thank you for your time and commitment to the New York State Jury System" statement at the bottom of the notice is just like salt in the wound.

Normally I love the workings of the criminal justice system, but I noticed there wasn't a box to check for "right now isn't really a good time," so I guess I'll have to either get a note from my doctor, or show up with my MRI slides pinned to my shirt. Man, life is just too complicated sometimes.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

ugh.
Yeah - you can opt out. Get a note from your Dr. and give the folks a call. They'll give you a pass now, and will probably call you in six months.

By then you'll be on the mend and ready to climb a mountain (or something).

c said...

Yeah, they ought to give you a pass. Or, you can take the gamble that you won't get called up and see what happens. I'd go with calling, though.

lena said...

good luck getting out of this. carl recently got one of these notices, and it said clearly that there were no excuses not to show up. on the plus side, when he did go, he was chosen for jury duty and it was a way more relaxing couple days than going to work would have been. if you do have to go, maybe you can request a lazyboy and painkillers?

z said...

Pat,

this sucks - I got upset just by the fact that last week I got the jury questionnaire - and I can't just say no, I am not citizen, I have to provide them copies of paperwork etc... They must have all SUNYIT people on a list of "wanted jurors" or something...

Anonymous said...

Gee Pat I got my summons for jury duty the same day. Do you think they are targeting the peacniks from the Village Green??

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

It's definitely a conspiracy.

Mike Zombek said...

Ignore it they talk tough but there is really nothing they can do to you.

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Big talk Mista! You gonna slip me a shiv when I'm in jail making new and intimate friends?

Mike Zombek said...

Well first we need to discuss conjugal visits.