Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ya Gotta Accentuate the Positive, Right?

Yeah, that's the spirit Murphy! Glass half full, right? Well, that's today's motto for me. I don't even care if it's trite and overused. I'm feeling better, pain-wise, and part of that means looking forward to some fun and funny events, some real, some surreal.

I think the v.p. debates will be quite surreal. I am, and always have been, a democrat, but I'm going to try not to be too smug. Joe Biden's no prize, as I see it, but Sarah Palin has become a joke of great magnitude. Now, I could give into that perfectly natural democrat response that says something like, well it's our turn and we've watched the country degrade so much in the past eight years: bring on the blood bath! I could sit in front of my telly (I'm trying on new (to me) words here) with a glass of wine and hoot and holler, I suspect. But maybe I won't. I saw the Katie Couric (sp?) interview and felt so sorry for the woman. On the other hand, really, what was she thinking? That nobody would notice her lack of background and preparedness because she is so genuine? By the way, I do think she is . . . what you see is what you get, except fiscally it seems. Lena, my dear, I expect a response and will be sorely disappointed if I don't get one.

In reverse order of my "thesis statement," I'm really looking forward to our reading Friday night at the College Street Cafe and Artists' Studio. It'll be great to get out of the house, say goodbye to my LOST friends (what's left of them) for an evening, and hear what everybody else has been writing. I have new work to read, and I'm thrilled to say it's not hysterical "lumbar" poetry. Wow, what a sub genre that would be!

I'm also going to buy Marilynne Robinson's Gilead and The Death of Adam this weekend, then choose which to read first. I'm drawn to both, but in my current dim witted state (still a little fuzzy, head-wise) I think the novel will win out. Robinson is just so smart a writer that I know The Death of Adam will be quite brilliant, and those Puritans are so delicious, but I also know I'll have to be a little less dopey to really get anything out of it. It actually scared me how much I loved Housekeeping all those years ago.

I'm also sure that pretty soon I'll be able to bend over and pick up all the laundry that's strewn about the house. I did it once last week and it didn't work out so well. I see this scenario as a treat until I remember that the next step is actually washing it and putting it away. Right now, my house sorta looks like a consignment store.

One final "bright note" (I hope you're not already sick of my optimism): at school yesterday I watched one of my freshman students register to vote. I shook his hand.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

lena said...

do not feel sorry for a woman who claims not to have thought twice about accepting john mccain's offer. to me, that is just one more piece of evidence that she does NOT THINK THINGS THROUGH, and do we really want another one of those in or anywhere near the white house? maybe she's genuine, and maybe "genuine" is a synonym for "terrifyingly short-sighted," or "ignorant" or "has an enchanting accent." can't we just elect somebody smart and informed instead?

ok, i'll try to calm down now.

i would really like to read gilead.

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Lena,
I knew I'd get you with that one! Yes, she's obviously short-sighted, maybe in many ways. For example, which is worse (and you can go ahead and think like a member of her desired demographic here, if you want)? The idea that John McCain would carry her, or the idea that she would carry herself? I have no answers, of course, but I will say it's nice to be back to thinking about something other than my back.

I can't wait to read Gilead. I loved Housekeeping so much that, as a student, I would get pissed off in my intro lit class when others didn't respond to it positively. And that lovefest didn't diminish upon second and third readings of the text.

Back to SP, I disagree about the accent. It is only, in my opinion charming in an "oh look at that, what a great accent for SNL" way.
See you Friday, that is if you're still speaking to me after I inflamed you so . . .

lena said...

oh, i love getting all worked up. so thanks for that! i'm looking forward to the reading and i think i might bring some of my old poems instead of fiction. . .

Unknown said...

You are so delicious a writer. I could read your optimism all day.