Thursday, August 28, 2008

Did You See Me?

That was me running in Clinton yesterday at about 4:30. I wasn't breaking any records by any means, but I was out there, water bottle in hand, enjoying a little run after my last back injury. Enjoying, you say? Well, sort of. That brings me to today's topic -- why run?

1) Even when I think I'm in good shape, running reminds me that I've far to go.
2) Even though I walk a lot, running reminds me that things are actually somewhat loose and jiggly.
3) Running evokes comments from people, like the mother of a young child who said "yes, she's running!"
4) Running is horrible in so many ways that it feels great when it's done.
5) Running enables me to avoid conversations with other locals, when I need to stop chatting and get down Kellogg Street.
6) Running is fast, compared to walking, and therefore ends quicker.
7) Running makes me sweat, and that's probably a good thing.
8) Running renders me incapable of thought. Sure, I can remember not to cross a busy street, but I can't worry about tenure, or what that black thing hanging on the side of my house is, while running.
9) Running is in line with my leftist, liberal agenda. I hope someone out there will dispute this one.
10) Running lets me think I can run away from scary dogs (scary students) if I need to.
I should say that this running thing isn't really new for me. I used to run 3 miles a day, six days a week. Then I took up walking, and I thought I would always be a walker. Maybe taking up running again will put me in a walker, but a lot of doctors advise their "back patients" to run. Today, my spine says "good girl!" Who knows, tomorrow, it might say "are you crazy? You're too old to do this again!" If you think I'm nuts for starting up again, let me know. If you run, or like running, let me know.

This post isn't really about running, though; it's about questions. I know that some of you out there have expertise to answer some questions. Some are things I've been wondering about; some are things I probably should know; one isn't even really my question. So, here goes:
1) Why aren't all plants perennials?
2) What is CSS, and how can it be used (this one's for Clark)?
3) What happens to bulbs when we plant them in fall? I mean what really happens?
4) What does the average Canadian really think about nationalized health care? It might be an American issue soon.
5) Why doesn't everybody have a favorite Belle and Sebastian song?
6) How do I know whether to cover shrubs or not?
7) Is the Internet a good "place" to educate people? Moopy, I'm expecting a response to this one.
8) If you used to live here, why did you leave central New York?
9) What's the best way to bake bread in a bread machine? I'm getting out the Breadman this weekend, and I've been less than successful thus far.
10) What color should I paint my house?

If you know the answer to any of the above, let me know. Gotta go get ready for work and see if Carlie's jumping around too much from those chocolate covered coffee beans.
Peace to everybody; peace for everybody.
BTW, former Factory Times people, a name change is being talked about. What do you think about that?

5 comments:

Nick Gasparovich said...

7) The internet can be a good place to educate people... it just depends on how motivated that person is in continuing to pursue the source. Attending a class is a lot different than logging into a forum. Most classes are held outside of your house (unless you're home schooled), in which case you have a clear distinction between work and play. In online coursework, that line becomes blurred... For students who have a hard time working along that line, online coursework can drag them down.

8) Because I was tired of the peaceniks in Clinton... but really, I don't mind them :-P I left to be closer to family and "home" but ended up leaving "family" and home... go figure?

9) This may help with your bread machine woes...

10) You should paint it Pepto-bismol pink... but really, I'd probably base the palette off of your neighbors... don't want your house to stand out too much, you may be driven out of Clinton :-P

Jessica said...

I think you should paint your house eggshell. It's a rather easy color to deal with in my mind, and there are many different trims that can be used with it.

I moved out of NY to be with my boyfriend, now fiance, in New Jersey. So far it has been a good move.

I believe that not all plants are perennials because the flower industry would never make money if they were. Therefore annuals feed their children.

lena said...

i love running, but even at my best, i can only do about 2.5 miles before risking heart failure/brain aneurysm. but it totally clears my head of anything but breathing and seeing.

5. those who don't have a favorite just don't know any better. they need to be educated, perhaps via internet.

9. whatever else you do, add a slice of american cheese after the initial mix-up.

c said...

1) Why aren't all plants perennials?

Because it's extremely wasteful to put resources into growing hardy woody bits if something might come along and eat you, and a pain in the root to have cold tolerance and dormancy. Better to throw all of the energy into making as many seeds as fast as possible.

3) What happens to bulbs when we plant them in fall? I mean what really happens?

They grow for awhile, soak up some goodies, then get a nice cold shock that induces the production of hormones that break dormancy in the spring. Vaguely. I can copy the appropriate chapter from my plant phys text for you tomorrow. :)

6) How do I know whether to cover shrubs or not?

Don't cover anything for a year. Next year, when you replace the dead ones, mark the replacements for covering next time.

7) Is the Internet a good "place" to educate people? Moopy, I'm expecting a response to this one.

Absolutely, if you watch what you're doing. Do you mean to educate others, or to be educated yourself?

10) What color should I paint my house?

Sage green with dark red trim. Oh, wait, that's what it is now, isn't it? Just not pink.

Unknown said...

2) What is CSS, and how can it be used?

CSS is the "design" element of up-to-the-minute web pages. It uses less bandwidth and encourages elegant coding. I have no idea how to do any of that, but that's what it's supposed to do.

9) What's the best way to bake bread in a bread machine?

I don't know the answer to this, but I do have a related question...

Can I use non-bread-machine yeast in a bread machine? I mean we're talking the difference between $8 for a teensy jar of bread machine yeast and $3.50 for a huge brick of active dry yeast. What's the difference?