Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It has begun!

As I was pulling on some flannel pajama pants this morning, I decided I'd write about summer's end, yet again. I want to say that I love autumn. My birthday always occurs during peak foliage season, and when I was growing up I thought the whole foliage thing had been designed for me. Now I'm older and I know that it was designed for me. Seriously, autumn, fall whatever you call it is my favorite season, and I know it's here in central New York by some welcome (and some not-so-welcome) signs. Since fall is election time, I'll combine the two and come up with a list of how I know it's fall and election time:

1) I was pulling on flannel pj's at 6:30 this morning.
2) When Linell and I walked yesterday, red leaves scattered the lawns of some yards.
3) I have 25 Barack Obama posters in my car (anybody want one?)
4) In my inbox this morning were messages from my new friends, Michelle and Joe. When Joe first wrote me the other day, the salutation read "Murphy".
5) I got out my rake to rake up some grass trimmings and left it out because I'll be using it on leaves soon enough.
6) I put on a sweater (cotton) to sleep in last night because I couldn't find any winter pajamas.
7) Some democrat is giving a speech in Denver every time I turn on the tv.
8) I am avoiding the tv (and radio) because of 7 above.
9) Related to 6, I'll be getting out my winter clothes this weekend.
10) As I write this, I'm sitting under two blankets, still wearing said sweater.

I can't tell whether I'm complaining about autumn in this list or not, but I know I'm complaining about the election. I am so sick to death of the whole thing that I can understand why people don't vote: they're just too tired by November. One of my friends said that we really have to work hard between now and the election, and I understand that. But I just wish it were done.

Well, I feel better now. I can concentrate on going to work to teach 44 freshpeople and make them smarter and make the world a better place. I just added the last part because I like people to think that's what I do. If anybody out there wants to share observations about autumn, the election, or anything else, please do. How do you know it's turning fall where you live? Do you like it? How about election years? Do you think they're exciting? Joe and Michelle, you're out of this one. I think we know how you feel.

I'm still looking forward to peace group retort suggestions. Thanks, Jess; you're a hoot. As for the restayouse, whatchu got?
Peace Out Y'alls

1 comment:

Jessica said...

How you know it is Autumn:

1) College starts and people start to ask if you are going to help them move in.
2) Walmart lengthens the back to school section to about ten aisles and you can no longer find the Stationery aisle or the gift wrap.
3) Halloween decor goes up in front of "ambitious" (or obnoxious) people's homes. Including the 10' blown up Homer Simpson dressed up as a vampire.
4)I can no longer wear flip flops everywhere. If it has rained, flip flops are officially out of the wardrobe selection.
5)The one "emergency sweater" has miraculously grown to twelve, and I am thinking about getting a couple more.
6)I don't really have any qualms about cooking in the house because now I can enjoy the warmth. I actually look forward to cooking dinner inside for once.
7) The pool gets covered and closed.
8)You watch the news and "Bus stop Buddy" is wearing a parka and mittens.
9) Ads for new series are popping up on the TV and you actually set reminders cause you know you will forget later.
10) The Halloween section has opened up in every store imaginable, and it is already half sold out.