Friday, August 29, 2008

It Could Have Been a Brilliant Career

Yup, that's my theme song this week. I guess the first week of teaching has left me a little melancholy. As I look out at my students (all freshies, very nice)I can't help but wonder a few things. When you're in graduate school, you think little about the future because you're busy trying to survive the minute. But now, five years later, I have to stop and think about what's what. So I spent the summer writing some pretty smart stuff, now I'm back to helping people start their college writing careers. Daunting responsibility? No. Slightly depressing? Not really. But that starting at square one can be a bit deflating.

Thank goodness for humor. One of my students wants to be called Chocolate Thunder. He'll be fun. One came up to the table and took my coffee mug. Ouch! Both classes respond a lot, good. One class responds too much, okay. I'll be fine.

I have a reading next week at the Tramontane Cafe in Utica. I have two new poems and I like them both. I read with fun, smart people, and there's an open mic, so if you're in the area get out your guitar, zither, whatever and step up to the plate.

So now that this week's over, what has been your theme song? Has it been some ironic, funny song like mine that pokes fun at the whole idea of a career? Has it been some sappy ballad because you're so in love? Has it been a rap song about booty (Mikey I know you wanna spice up my blog, so respond)?

My song is out there on the Internet if you want to hear it. Right now I'm listening to Jens Lekman sing about Nina and his lesbian "girlfriend" situation, and you can just let me know what you're listening to, if you want.

I gotta take my melancholy self to the backyard with my mower, so let's hope when my three hours of homeowner bliss are done they'll be some encouraging comments. BTW Mikey, my blog is not getting boring. You're just not getting it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They call me MR. Chocolate Thunder!

That's a great one. Give me a student with such a sense of humor any day.

Jessica said...

There is a country song called "Mr. Mom" that I used to hear at the diner I worked at a few years ago. the song seems to sum up my life here at Nick's aunt's house.

"Pampers melt in a maytag dryer,
crayons go up one drawer higher.
rewind Barney for the 15th time,
breakfast 6, nap at 9,
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair,
sweet potatoes in my lazy chair,
Been Crazy all day long,
And it's only Monday Mr. Mom"

Sometimes I really feel like everything that could go wrong, during the weeks I end up watching the kids, does.

This week, they started a new daycare and received a nice cold that kicked in just in time for me to have them all day today. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Gary Glitter's "I'm the Leader of the Gang (I Am). Pure poetry...

c said...

"Always look on the bright side of life." Eric Idle can cheer me up every time.