Thursday, August 21, 2008

You're teaching what?

When classes at SUNYIT start on Tuesday I'll be standing there in front of two groups of freshmen. I haven't taught two freshman classes in quite awhile, so it might be a bit of an adjustment, especially since most freshpeople at SUNYIT are traditional students, as in eighteen years old. At least two of you who read this blog remember what it was like to schlog to class three times a week to listen to me drone on and on. And on the phone the other night one of you told me that f.c. was a rather challenging class. I think challenging means good in this former student's case, but sometimes students say teachers are challenging and would rather use other, less flattering words. Having said that, I thought I'd do a tribute to beginning college students, freshpersons, whatever you want to call them. Here is why I like teaching freshman composition:
1) I have taught it I don't know how many times, and I still learn something new each time
2) I can practice being compassionate (when appropriate) and maybe someday I'll actually become compassionate
3) The students rarely bring small children to class
4) The students have great "writing myths" that they bring to class from high school teachers (which should be the subject of another blog) that I can debunk
5) I really believe that what I teach students in composition helps them become better writers througout their college careers
6) Students in f.c. sometimes raise their hands and ask if they can go to the restroom, and while it's disarming it's also charming
7) Traditional freshpeople are literally on the brink -- of adulthood in some cases, of becoming college students, of critical thinking -- and I can push them over the edge, but in a good way
8) They know that the class is going to be terrible, just terrible, and I think most (some?) of them leave it feeling a little better about writing
9) When I want to feel old, really old, all I have to do is talk about music with them. I think two or three (in five years) have heard of any band I listen to. Neither have I heard of their "musical artists," so if they do a paper comparing and contrasting music lyrics they have to provide hard copy
10) They mature tremendously in the course of the semester (well, not everyone does), and while they initially come to class thinking they have nothing to say, most find out they have something to say.
11) Yes, I'm adding an eleventh item. When I do service-learning with freshpeople, I really am proud of the way they handle themselves. So in spring they'll be (fingers crossed) working with a new group, since the breast cancer project is done. They will impress the heck out of me, I'm sure. And the service-learning experience will impact them a good deal, if my survey responses are accurate.

So, that's it. That's why I like freshpeople. Now Nick and Josh, you might be thinking that it sure didn't seem like I liked freshies when you were in my class, but you're wrong; I just didn't like the two of you. Of course that was a joke. It's my blog; I get to put up bad jokes.

So, how will I parlay this one into a question? Well, I think it falls into the category of things you like about your job that other people might not understand or appreciate. In my field teaching freshman comp is not the "glam" part of the job, but somehow it seems like a good deal to me. Of course, when I get two sets of papers at a time, we'll see if I'm as optimistic. What do you do in your job that you enjoy? Maybe it is something that others don't understand, or don't want to do. Maybe you can just tell me about your job, especially Nick since I have no idea what you do. Whatchu got?

No peace table today at the Clinton Farmers' Market. I didn't make the decision, but my bad back and I are glad of it. But I'll wish you peace nonetheless. And since two of you took f.c. from me you know that nonetheless is one word, yes?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Pat:

You're right. Teaching FYC isn't glamorous, but there are perks. There is nothing like the impressionability of freshies on that first day.

Another thing I like about teaching comp (and lit) is choosing books. I agonize for weeks about what new text to order for next semester. Agonize isn't the right word, of course, because I really enjoy it. Relish is a better word.

Clark