Saturday, August 9, 2008

Music

Last night I went to the Trama-something Cafe in Utica, New York. There was live music by local artists and they rocked the house. It got me to thinking that everyone out there who reads this blog lives in a place where local artists live and work, often unsupported by anyone/thing other than their equally poor fan base. I'm kinda lucky because while I do write and read poetry locally, I also have a cushy state job to pay the mortgage with, that is until the State of New York cuts $96 million from the budget this year and I go start a new career at Jiffy Lube.

So here's to local artists, like (in Utica) Jenny Penny, the Real Burnouts, Figments of Your Imagination, all the writers who stand up and read at coffee shops, and all their listeners who come out and say thank you and give us a pat on the back.

You've got great local performers/artists where you live, so let's hear about some of them. Names names; maybe it'll help sell a cd or maybe you'll wind up having some great artist come on tour and sleep on your couch.

Whatchu got?

No comments: