Sunday, August 3, 2008

Whatchu reading?

I love summer reading when I actually get to do it. Last summer I was in New Jersey because my mom was really ill, and I read an entire composition book and a bunch of true crime books that my brother got from the Bergenfield Public Library. I had a copy of Mark Doty's Dog Years with me in NJ, and I would read to my mother from it every day when she was in intensive care. I had that book and a novel with me, and I asked her each time which one she wanted and she would say (well, not really say because she had a big respirator in her mouth) that she wanted the dog book. So, one day I got to a passage in which Doty talks about the death of one of his dogs, and I didn't know what to do. I read on and cried through part of it; today my mother told me that she doesn't remember any of it. But of course it made me think about how much texts can move us and help us through those times that are tough, to say the least.

So this summer my mother's doing great, and I'm happy to say that I'm reading all kinds of good books. Here are a few of them:
The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks
The Pajamaist by Matthew Zapruder
A Parade of Hands by James Hoch
Leave the Building Quickly by Cynthia Kaplan
Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks
Collected Poems Kenneth Patchen

So what are you reading?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

So far I have read:

Good in Bed By Jennifer Weiner... it was so-so
Up Till Now By William Shatner... which so far is amusing, and quick to read.
I am actually getting into reading children's books because my mother works at a library and helps a children's book group where she has to read the book as well.

On my list of books to read is:
Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
and The Pact by Jodi Picoult

In the mood for something better I guess.

Nick Gasparovich said...

I just finished the William Shatner book. It was pretty good, he makes me laugh.

I'm also getting ready to start reading "Windows PowerShell Cookbook"... riveting, I know :-P

Seriously, though, I'm waiting for the new Kindle to come out... then I'll buy that and read more often... I swear...

Mike Zombek said...

It's been a busy summer in so many ways and I wish I could say I have read more.

Rationale of the Dirty Joke: An Analysis of Sexual Humor by G. Legman This is the first volume of a two volume set funny and fascinating.

Tex Avery: King of Cartoons by Joe Adamson
Great insight into the life of genius animator plus lots of pictures.

Sexuality in World Cinema Volumes I & II by James L. Limbacher
I've been flipping through this 1600 page monster since May.

Gonzo Papers, Volume I by Hunter S. Thompson.
Great stuff, much is said about Thompson but he is a newspaper man first and foremost. Just the facts told quickly and precisely.

So that about sums up my summer
gonzo cartoon sex. Well at least my honeymoon.