Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I Like the Java Jive and It Likes Me

I've been thinking a lot about coffee since yesterday. My financial adviser, who is responsible for keeping me out of the poorhouse (and we all know there isn't even a poorhouse anymore) came over last night and declined a cup of coffee. He said he'd had about nine cups already. Nine cups! Yet he seems so calm.

I love coffee. I had my first taste of this luscious beverage when I was about nine years old. Mrs. Murphy said "you won't like it," but, oh, she was wrong. I remember the cup and saucer it was served in, white with yellow flowers, even though the cup contained only a few small sips. I don't know when I actually started drinking coffee, but I know I've consumed it for a long, long time.

Mrs. Murphy made the strongest coffee I've ever tasted. While the label on the coffee can says one tablespoon per cup, my mother uses one "scoop" per cup and adds an extra scoop "for the pot." I can't tell you precisely how big these scoops are, but they result in some high-powered coffee. Imagine people from NJ jacked up on coffee. Yikes!

When I was married, my husband liked his coffee weak (I could say like his women here, but that would be ridiculous), and when the Murphy clan came to visit they would politely ask that I make a pot of stronger coffee. My coffee must have seemed like, well I don't know, dishwater, pisswater, you fill in the blank here.

Now I make really strong coffee, but there's a catch; it's half decaf. My doctor told me last year to reduce stress, so I "cut" my coffee. It's a crappy street version of real coffee in some ways, but with it I can close my eyeballs for more than one second at a time. And I can shut up too, sometimes.

Which leads me to my question of the day. What's your coffee history? Or, how do like your coffee? If you don't drink coffee, tell me about your favorite beverage, hot or cold. Right now I'm sitting here with a cup of half-decaf laced with nonfat half and half. What are you drinking? Whatchu got?

6 comments:

Nick Gasparovich said...

I like my coffee strong... (I'm assuming Murphy strong)... but non of that decaf stuff... I'll typically take it with cream and sugar, however, I'm willing to substitute them for soy milk and a small amount of flavored syrup. (I've also found that just Vanilla Soy milk does the job as well... and I'm assuming it's a little better for me)

Now for other beverages:
Tea: Earl Grey, hot. With fresh honey.
Schindler's Lemonade: 4parts Sprite, 1part Jack & 1part Triple Sec

Jessica said...

I am so glad you posted this!!! I LOVE Coffee. I think it mildly appropriate to say that I like my coffee like I like my men- Strong, Full-bodied and Sweet.

I like my coffee in a variety of ways, but my favorite has been a creative art form.

Mildly brewed flavored coffee (I think it is about 4tbsp per 10 cup pot, maybe slightly more, I tend to eyeball it).

The flavor has to be just right and it takes a few pots of ridiculously weak pots and maybe even a strong one in order for me to get it right.

When doing flavors I go for mild flavors, such as hazelnut, and vanilla which tend to blend with the coffee flavor, and I use my creamer to match. However, I can't stand milk or regular cream in coffee because I think it dilutes the coffee flavor, and I always seem to taste more milk.

If I take flavored creamer, I don't use sugar, however if I take it black, like I do at my father's house, I put in a little bit of sugar.

Other than that, I enjoy coffee on almost a daily basis, and have been doing so for roughly 20 years now. I started really young when I lived in Utica, drinking the remnants of my father's coffee when he would go to work.

c said...

I HATE COFFEE.

However, I have developed a strange addiction to chocolate-covered coffee beans. They taste entirely different, really. I can't eat more than 5 at a time or my heart starts to feel funny.

My power drink is Stash chai tea, hot, no sweetener.

Anonymous said...

Carlie,
We have to get you some help.

Jessica said...

I like chocolate covered espresso beans as well! From Peter's Cornucopia they are so yummy and addicting.

c said...

Help to go off the beans or on to straight coffee?

Dang it, now that song's stuck in my head.

Coffee and tea, and the java and me, a cup a cup a cup a cup a cup.