Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Life in the Slow Lane

I'm getting a bit more accustomed to taking things slowly. I hope it helps because it certainly is frustrating. I guess I've always been a pretty revved up sort of person. I mean logically I've had enough people tell me that to know it's true. But I didn't really know how much it meant to me, was a part of me. Takin' it slow is associated with being relaxed and easy going, two positive traits, right? Takin' it slow because your back hurts is not like that, but I think I'm starting to adjust. I could be kidding myself.

One thing I know is better is my attitude. I know this because my imagination, which was dulled by pain and maybe skilaxin, is starting to revive itself. So here's a fanciful little query for those of you (especially Jess) who appreciate such things. I'll base it on television since we all know enough about that medium. Think of a television show (or movie) premise and a situation that you're familiar with. Think about what they would be like if merged. Would it be funny? Sad? Something else? I'll try first.

If faculty meetings could be a little like Lost, with threats of real danger and perceived danger, with things falling out of the sky and vague sometimes unseen threats, nothing would get done but the meetings themselves would be more interesting, I'll even say fun, as long as there was a tv show like time limit on them. Imagine faculty members coming to discuss serious academic issues, but finding out they have to dodge bullets, tranquilizers and the occasional polar bear instead. Someone starts to make a point but is interrupted by a cache of coconuts falling from a booby trap. I realize that in my present impaired condition I wouldn't be a good candidate for survival, but it sure would be out of the ordinary. I wish I could think of a soundtrack for this one. Maybe later.

It's kind of a stupid idea, this one, but since I'm still a little imagination-impaired it's all I've got for now. I can't wait to see what my mafia friend comes up with.
Cheers

4 comments:

Jessica said...

First and foremost, your scenario is awesome, one thing you have to keep in mind though is if LOST met faculty meetings you would be cured of all ailments and a definite contender for survival.

Second (and finally) my scenario is taking care of Nick's cousins, and I am merging it with a show called "Samantha Who?" In my scenario I would lose all recognition of people places and events and everything would be new and different. I would also slowly find out that I had a "past life" that is completely opposite to the one I am currently living. Shocking things would constantly happen, and the kids would take advantage of me not knowing any better. So basically things would stay much the same except the past life thing. Though sometimes I think that maybe I was a really good mother bear in a past life. I am VERY territorial over the twins, and they aren't even mine!!

c said...

If classroom teaching were like The Parent Trap, I'd go insane.

c said...

Oo, I've got one. Students who come in asking for a grade change just to help out their GPA, after the semester's ended and everything, get subjected to Solitary. Heh. If they make it through and win, (with me controlling it, natch), they still don't get their grade changed, it just makes me feel better.

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

You guys have such imagination; I feel like my Lost scenario pales in comparison, like it might've been easy because I was so much Lost and secretly just want their clothes and hair. But it would be fun to watch faculty member have to spring into action at a second's notice, and I love your idea Jess about how I wouldn't have a back injury. Maybe your post will give me the survivor mentality to make sure I get back on my feet fast as soon as I can do more. Yeah! Maybe I'll start going around hoarding resources and manipulating people!
Carlie, classroom teaching IS like the Parent Trap in so many ways.