Monday, September 1, 2008

Things

I'm not much of a materialist, but there are some things around this house that I have and don't use. Why do I keep them? Who knows? On the other hand, I miss some things that I left behind over the years, through various moves or just because I threw them away. Here's what I wish I still had:
1) my platform shoes. Yes, of course I'm old enough to have had platform shoes the first time they hit the fashion scene. Then I could walk in them. In them I was 5'4" tall, almost
2) the old roll top desk that used to be in my parents' basement. It was really cool to play with/in and I wish my father hadn't thrown it away in one of his purges
3) the first composition text I ever taught out of (it was the Riverside for those of you who're comp fiends). It was a terrible text, but it would be a hoot to see what I wrote in the margins when I was a noob
As I said, there are some things I have but shouldn't have. They either don't really belong to me (or in my life) or are underutilized and not appreciated. They are:
1) my wedding ring
2) a signed first edition of Stephen Dunn's Loosestrife that I bought for Mark Brown almost ten years ago and never gave to him
3) the Breadman -- I don't deserve the wonderful bread machine with the Isaac Hayes voice that says "Come on over here baby; let's make some bread," but today I'll remedy that and make Daryl glad he gave it to me. It's going to be either cottage cheese dill bread or cottage cheese peperoni bread. You can decide which. Either way, I'm going to prove myself worthy of the Breadman. If he cooperates and bakes up something that doesn't resemble a doorstop, I may start baking bread regularly. My luck has not been good with the Breadman, so Clark, when I say you can use regular yeast, take my advice with a grain of salt (funny, huh?)

Do you have such things in your life or miss things that are no longer around? Lemme know what they are, will ya?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Let see I think I will tell you three things I have and don't know why, AND three things that I want back.

Things I have:
1) Food Processor from my mother.
It is basically buried in my closet never to be used because I will buy one of my own eventually, but I am a sentimental sap and keep it around because she gave it to me.
2) Hand mixer. It is missing the beaters, but it has the funny corkscrew ones and for some odd reason I think that those will one day work for me.
3)My Teddy Bear quilt. It is 100% fallen apart. However I have this odd thought in my mind that one day I will put all of the pieces back together and give it to my kid. It as well is buried in my closet never to be seen till it moves to a new home.

Things I want back:
1) Bo action figure. It is from the He-man and She-ra cartoon series from the 80's and I was totally in love with him, however he is now located somewhere between my upstairs bathroom, and downstairs dining room.
2) My little Pony plush. It was lost in the original move, but it is the one gift that I remember getting from my dad's mother.
3) My sanity. I think I lost it at SUNYIT, but very possibly lost it at HCCC. Either way it is in NY and needs to find it's way to NJ.

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Yeah Jess, you're not gonna find your sanity in NJ. At least you don't have to claim it as your birthplace.

c said...

Silly question. I need everything I have, or else I wouldn't have kept it. :)

Ok, I guess my wedding dress. I have no idea what you're supposed to do with those things. It's in a box. No one in their right mind would ever want to wear that frothy concoction. My mom had a pretty sweet wedding dress - it was a tan linen mini-skirt suit that she picked up at Woolworth's on her lunch break. I assume she kept on wearing it, since it was actual clothes that looked good. Mine, eh. Where do wedding dresses go to die?

Nick Gasparovich said...

Pat: I think you inadvertently talked smack about South Jersey... some people are proud to have been born there ;-) lol

Carlie: A suggestion for your wedding dress: have a daughter and then either have her use it or use parts of it to make her own... just plant the seed of suggestion when she's really young so she thinks it was her idea :-)

Unknown said...

I'm making bread today in my Hitachi (or whatever it is). I'll let you know how the active dry yeast works in Ahdahoe.