Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tights, a decidedly girlie post

One good thing about the coming of autumn is that I get to wear tights, not pantyhose, which I loathe, but tights. They're the greatest thing ever invented for women who try to dress, well I'd call it professionally but some of you who read this blog would chuckle. Interesting tights give flair to even English teacher outfits, so I actually look forward to pulling on that first pair today. It's in the high 40's this morning, and it'll get up to almost 70, plus I have a meeting with our school's new president, so it's time to cover up those bare legs and wear a pair of real shoes too. It's not so cold that I need the heavy duty tights yet, so I should be able to pull off some interesting, eclectic look.

But there's a problem. Finding interesting tights in central New York isn't easy. I like stripes, polka dots, and unique colors. Evidently I'm the only person in CNY who does. The stores here have tights, yes, but the selection is less than inspiring. There are plenty of woolies, for good reason.

So I turned to the Internet and what do you know? If you google women's tights you can find all kinds of things. The trick is that many of them are not exactly what you'd teach English in. I don't need hosiery that comes with an apparatus to which it needs to be clamped, thank you. And I don't need to pay $42.00 for that pair of bird's eye tights from a website named Spanx. And while I'm at it, Victoria's Secrets really shouldn't categorize some of that stuff as tights, c'mon. "Hide and Peek" pantyhose? Leather leggings for $198.00? I want tights!

I'm going to keep looking, and out there somewhere is a rack or a website that'll have what I want: chevron designs, stripes, a powder blue pair to go with my new paisley skirt. I don't want any of that tie-dyed hippie stuff either. That would be a little too eccentric and would make my legs look even shorter. I'm going to find them, these wonderful tights, and they're going to look great. Wish me luck, and if you have any ideas, let me know. Maybe there's a tights r us store in NJ, Jess?

5 comments:

c said...

Try here and possibly here, although the second one doesn't sell tights as such.

c said...

Wait, I guess the first doesn't either; I thought they did. The thigh-highs might work, though.

Nick Gasparovich said...

I have a feeling that a post by me on a girlie topic would be disruptive, so I'll refrain from posting.

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

C'mon Nick, where's your sense of adventure? Surely you have an opinion about tights. Step up, man!

Jessica said...

Not really sure which type of tights you are looking for, but the site that I used 2 years ago to get colorful tights for Halloween (I was strawberry shortcake and wanted striped green and white tights) was this site http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/Tights.htm They are fairly inexpensive and rather good quality. Not really sure what you are looking for, but I would look under solid tights, and the color sky blue. I think that might be a nice color!

Also Nick might want to go see this site as well, if he clicks dancewear on the main page he will be able to find the "LeoTaaaad" that one of his favorite television characters wore.

Hope this helps!!