Sunday, September 7, 2008

You Ate What?

When I was making vegetable soup yesterday with the last of my fruit-and-veggie-stand vegetables, I started reminiscing about something an ex-boyfriend told me he and his roommates used to do. He said that at the end of the week they would take all the leftovers from the fridge and put them together and eat them, no matter what they were. He described putting leftover hard boiled eggs into things like leftover Chinese food and anything else that happened to reside in the fridge at week's end. He even implied that dessert items would occasionally be tossed into the mix, but this I don't believe. How disgusting? How daring? How practical?

I play it pretty safe when it comes to incorporating leftover foods into new dishes. I put Friday's kamut pilaf into my soup, but that was hardly an out-on-the-ledge choice. In fact, I didn't even combine chili and macaroni until I was almost thirty.

So I wonder, am I missing out on a whole universe of palate-tempting concoctions? Should I be combining Tuesday's leftover tofu and broccoli with Thursday's TVP spaghetti sauce? Should I throw caution to the wind and maybe come up with something intoxicating?

Maybe this leftover dilemma (which is a real one for anybody who lives alone) is the reason I eat steak so often. I've evolved into an almost-otherwise-vegetarian with a three night a week steak habit for a reason, I think. Steak is easily consumed, and accompanied by vegetables, very satisfying. It leaves no leftovers if you make sure you portion correctly. If done correctly (very rare) it satisfies any blood lust that can be satiated without committing a crime.

But back to the world of leftover combining. What am I missing? What do you put together to make something new out of leftover food? Is it anything anybody else would really consider eating? My mother used to fry leftover spaghetti in butter and that was pretty good. Are you just poor and desperate and you have to eat it all anyway, so combining is a way to pretend it's something new? Let me know your special dish, or maybe how you like your steak cooked.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I like my steak medium rare... well actually rare, but no restaurant dares go rare anymore.

As for leftovers this week I made a little too much homemade macaroni and cheese and decided despite the coating of cheddar cheese, it would make a nice "poor man's lasagna" I think utilizing a menu to make another just makes it easy on me. No running to the basement to drag a dead cow from the freezer and wait for it to thaw, and usually no extra leftovers from overcooking. I think it is a way to say "Oh darn, I forgot to think of a meal and people will be home in an hour. Guess I should make something of this leftover food."

As for combining random stuff, tread with care I have found that taking leftovers and putting them into something new can be good... for instance leftover chinese (most veggie and meat blends, no noodles) can be put into a small portions of pizza dough to make mini calzones that are actually quite tasty when brushed with a soy/ginger blend dipping sauce.

Nick Gasparovich said...

You may remember Steve my associate at the Factory Times meetings.... His mom either plans the reuse of food or does it on the fly because most meals she makes reincorporates food left over from a previos meal... I'm talking beyond using leftover veggies & taters to make sheppards pie... If I. Could harness her powers of cooking, nobody would fear leftovers again...

*NOTE* Please excuse spelling/punctuation errors, this was sent from my blackberry...

Patricia Murphy, a resident of said...

Jess, I can't quite visualize these "calzones", but they sure sound interesting. Nick, I think the idea of planning one's leftover incorporation makes sense, but it might result in me eating only things that could go together as leftovers. I guess I'll stick with steak in all its drippy gory glory.

Nick Gasparovich said...

Steak could be used for steak fajitas ;-)

Unknown said...

Leftovers?? You mean there is sometimes food left after a meal? Hmmm... wait... I think I recall this thing you call leftovers.. in the days before I had FIVE kids (four of whom are ravenous boys).

(sigh)