Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Something Ain't Right

Last night I was prepping for my class today, and I had the tv on. I wasn't really paying attention to what was on, but then I noticed it was a show with somebody named Fava Flav (yes, I realize that saying "somebody named" makes me seem old and uncool). I guess he has a "reality" show that involves women trying to "get with him" (yeah, now I sound hip, right?), and he eliminates them one by one. Man, it would really bite to get picked off or kicked out by a guy who seems to have a lot of bling and a little less brainpower. Sorry, I call 'em like I see 'em.

Of course, the whole thing got me to thinking. Now if you think this is going to be a post about perfect mates (as in what would you look for in a), or a High Fidelity list of my top five rejects(assuming I'd been rejected by five), you're wrong. I want to do a little brainstorming about reality tv. What would it take to make a good reality tv show that smart people wouldn't be ashamed to admit watching. I mean, you could have a show in which people are eliminated because they can't come up with the correct poem that contains the line "The world's whole sap is sunk/
The general balm th' hydroptic earth hath drunk," but would it be fun to watch people stay in the game because they were the only ones who actually took 17 century brit lit? And doesn't that format just seem like a Jeopardy category?

So what would it take? What would a bunch of people have to do on tv to make a reality show good? You notice I'm assuming there are no good reality shows out there, when, in fact I know nothing. If there are quality reality shows, tell me about them. Maybe I could watch them between Lost dvds. I've seen Project Runway and that cooking show, and they just don't really have it. Catherine used to make me watch Dog the Bounty Hunter; I guess that's a reality show. I'd like to see one of you defend that!

Anyway, I'm going to come up with a great idea for a reality show, or maybe an absurd one. And I'm going to post it tomorrow. You should come up with one too. Maybe together we can make millions.
Peace Out

2 comments:

c said...

The Amazing Race, the first few seasons before it got all dumbed down. That was a GREAT show.

Nick Gasparovich said...

I used to watch "Showbiz Mom's and Dad's" when it was on...